Why not Discord? There is no common answer to it.
For some users, the platform is not suitable for hosting big collaborations whereas, for others, it’s the absence of video and audio calling features.
Discord is not limited to only gamers. Even professionals use it for smart collaboration. So, when the market shows up with any new Discord Alternative, users go gaga about it.
They try the alternative and soon find themselves trapped into another over-hyped marketing gimmick.
So, we took the pain to study and come up with the best Discord Alternatives to save your time. Let’s get started.
Best Discord Alternatives List
Unlike Discord, it has audio/video recording feature and is an open-source platform (liberty to host own servers). It is built on Apache License 2.0 and comes with Matrix Protocol to facilitate real-time communications.
It allows you to have private and public chat with the liberty to change themes from Dark to Light and vice versa.
You can choose a server to host your data protecting them under Matrix Protocol. Also, you can tap on to advanced features such as anti-virus and custom behaviour to configure your server better.
- App Store
- Google Play
- Share files and widgets through chat
- Video/Voice calls and conference
- Available over 25+ languages
- Open Source
- Encrypted private communication
- Easy data access from third-party applications
- App does not support multiple accounts
A decade ago, Mumble was the first to launch a VoIP application for low latency voice communication. For gamers, it’s a boon to have a positional audio feature (hear players from their actual game positions) in Mumble. Also, it offers an in-game overlay to see who is talking to whom with FPS details and the current time in display.
It uses a special codex (programming) to offer excellent sound quality with no voice echo unlike other apps. It’s an open-source platform and very flexible under low bandwidth situations. Its low-latency in the new version (Ver 1.2.4) is better than even that of Riot.
- Windows (64-bit, 32-bit)
- Low latency for calling and gaming
- Good for low bandwidth use (20 kbps speed)
- Extensive permission to add over 100 simultaneous voice participants
- High encrypted servers requiring authentication on every access
- In-game overlay
- Positional Audio
- Custom-web interface
- Extendible through Ice protocols
- Not directly available on Android (Third Party)
Its design interface tops Mumble and gives you an ads-free premium experience under a free plan. Its end-to-end encryption shields chat, voice, and even video callings.
Plus, you can multi-login through eight different devices at the same time (but it is paid, starting from $5 per month/user). Though it has multiple tools for smart collaboration, you can only pay for a single tool instead of purchasing the bundle.
- Open-source application
- Let you sketch ideas to explain and demonstrate better
- Messages & productivity through file sharing
- Calling (Audio, Video, Screenshare)
- External collaboration (Guests, Invites)
- High Security (end-end encryption, contact verification, fingerprint, device management)
- On-premise/Private/Cloud deployment
- End to end encryption for messages as well as video calls
- Takes too long to log-in
Unlike Wire, this application allows you to create a 5000-member group but falls short to Discord’s 12,000 range. Still, it is one of the best discord alternatives. Send files up to 1GB easily through a single click.
Obviously, you get group customization like changing names, creating blacklists, adding/removing administrations, etc. Also, easily share data from browser to messenger without saving on desktop.
- Distro Linux
- End-to-end chat encryption between two users
- Messages are delivered without any delay
- User can synchronize the chats in clouds for future use
- One-click group joining link
- Any file of 1GB can be delivered
- No voice call service available
- Group chats are not end-to-end encrypted
- Not PC compatible
5. Team Speak
Team Speak is the official voice supplier of the Overwatch League, thanks to its out-of-the-world VoIP solution. It puts YOU in complete control of your data. You can host your data from anywhere with their decentralized infrastructure.
Military-grade encryption keeps your communications safe. The audio quality is outstanding, with automatic microphone volume adjustment and echo cancellation in action.
Pull in thousands of participants with advanced client-server architecture blessed with limitless customization. It supports Gamepad and Hotkey too, which is unavailable in most other apps like discord.
- No data harvesting or selling of user data to third parties
- Integrated Military-Grade Security
- Advanced hierarchy permission system
- Stunning positional audio with a 360º soundscape
- In-game overlay from Overwolf
- Limitless customization with plugins, sound & icon packs, and themes
- Powerful file transfer without facing any firewall issues
- Simple cross-device set-up
- Complex Installation process
- Not free (Costs $55 per 64 server slots per year)
Want a decentralized server with free hosting? Matrix would be your ideal bet. The best part- your communication can go incognito. Synchronize messages even under unstabilized internet connections.
This Apache-licensed platform maintains bridges to Slack, Discord, Facebook, Telegram, and many more. With its 100 bps ultra-low bandwidth transport, it can handle even IoT silos, not just Messages and VoIP calls.
- Supports instant Text and video communications
- Records all the communication history
- Extensive user management( adding, removing or blocking members)
- Multiple user account customization (avatars and display names)
- Simple architecture
- Designed to reduce third party app dependencies
- End-end encryption
- No auto-checking of key recipients (manual)
Slack is popular for offering organized conversation, searchable history, and cutting-edge tools. Let’s dig deeper.
First, you can divide your channel members based on different roles or projects. Second, just like WhatsApp, you can type a word to see past discussions even if you archive or leave a channel.
Third, for corporate professionals, it offers easy integration with productivity tools like Zendesk, Salesforce, Jira, etc.
Besides, your data security requirements are met through improved security standards including SOC 2 Type II, ISO 27001 and HIPAA. So, if you’re looking for apps like discord with improved task management features, this is it.
- Windows (64-bit and 32-bit)
- Categorize channels based on team, project or client
- No lengthy email chains, free to join and leave anytime
- Share screen or face on video calls
- Drag and drop PDFs, images, and Videos
- Get live feedback on your progress
- Easy integration to 2,200+ apps from its directory
- High data encryption with two-factor authentication
- Expensive for starters ($6.67 per user/per month)
- Only Windows compatible
Go for HeySpace if you need an agile board space to view your workflow on top of basic Discord features. It’s more like a professional collaboration desk to create projects, add members, assign tasks, monitor progress, etc
You can even add upcoming tasks to the calendar for receiving a gentle reminder of your to-do lists in advance.
That’s being said, it also features Gmail, TimeCamp, Trello, Hangouts, and Zapier to make your teamwork epic.
Though it’s available under free and premium plans, starters would love the former one- unlimited spaces and chats for 10 members with 10 GB space for storing files.
It’s available as a desktop application for
- Unlimited Members (Paid)
- Unlimited space (Paid)
- Unlimited storage (Paid)
- Third-party add-ons (Gmail, Trello, Calendar, Hangouts, etc.)
- Chat with GIFs, quotes or code samples
- Board for easy workflow visualization
- No search feature
- No Global overview option
Lastly, here comes a new way to work together from Microsoft. It’s specifically for brand impulsive users looking for common ground with Discord.
Obviously, there is nothing much to expect here except for the quality of service the brand carries with its all products. You can host audio, video, or web conference with one-touch access to premium Microsoft goodies like Word Docs, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Desktop browser (Microsoft)
- Team calling
- Access to Microsoft applications
- Teams of 10,000 can meet at one place
- Firstline workforce for shift management
- Premium Microsoft support
- No advanced features unlike other apps
There is no limit to best Discord alternatives. The list can go long and long. Just identify your purpose and see what meets them under a bare minimum price. If it is for gaming, go for free versions as most applications will suffice your basic needs under a free plan. In case, it is professional, don’t mind keeping your budget flexible to get the best collaboration platform to save your time.