Are you looking for the best tenkeyless mechanical keyboard available on the market?
A high-quality tenkeyless mechanical keyboard is definitely an upgrade you need when you’re looking to up your game in the PC gaming world. However, there are hundreds of options available on the market, and not all of them are of the best quality!
In this blog post, we go through the top 10 contenders in detail to help you make a well-informed decision.
First Thing’s First: What is a Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboard?
Also known as a portable mechanical keyboard, a tenkeyless keyboard has all the features of a normal keyboard minus the numeric keypad.
Of course, the keys removed are more than ten in number, but the name stuck.
The numeric keypad is something that your average gamer doesn’t need–it just takes up unnecessary real estate on the desk. By removing it, right-handed people got some extra space which made it easier for them to reach the mouse.
Advantages of TKL Keyboards
In this section of the article, we will go through the advantages of TKL keyboards. Take a look.
This allows you to have a satisfying typing experience and each type of key switch comes with its set of advantages. The popular ones include Cherry MX switches.
- Actuation force: The weight in grams represents the amount of force required to press down the key
- Linear switches: These are quieter and provide an overall smooth typing experience
- Tactile switches: They have a bump you feel when pressing the key down and are on the noisier side
These small form factor keyboards save a lot of space on your desk which allows you to have the mouse closer to the hand. These are elegantly designed and come with various fancy features.
If you don’t like a cluttered desk, a TKL keyboard is the right choice for you. The keyboard helps improve your typing speed and position while getting the most out of your keyboard.
Packed with features
As you will see later in the blog post, tenkeyless mechanical keyboards come packed with features that make them an excellent choice for novice, intermediate, and professional gamers.
List Of The Best Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboard
1. Redragon K552
With fast key processing, the Redragon K552 is one of the best tenkeyless mechanical keyboards available on the market. The keyboard comes with a red LED backlight which makes things extremely interesting to the eyes.
The keyboard assures minimal key locking and improves efficiency to ensure your gameplay goes smoothly.
The 87 keys come with increased overall endurance and low resistance. The keyboard also features tactical feedback for excellent responsiveness while you’re immersed in the gameplay.
The keyboard is fully compatible with Windows but has limited compatibility with Mac.
- 60% mechanical keyboard with custom switches
- 5 backlight brightness levels
- adjustable breathing speed
- Precision engineered keycaps
- High-quality durable metal-ABS construction
- N-key rollover technology protects
- Features a splash-proof and non-slip design
- Long-lasting and durable
- Metal ABS construction
- Five brightness modes
- Issues with key chatter with time
2. HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
Designed for pro gaming, the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro is one of the highest-rated TKL keyboards. The keyboard saves space, is reliable and efficient in terms of performance.
The sturdy steel frame ensures that the keyboard can take a lot of abuse without wearing out. This, of course, also means that the keyboard is extremely durable!
The 100% anti-ghosting keyboard ensures uninterrupted hours of gaming. The portable gaming keyboard is connected to the PC using a micro-USB cable which can be easily removed.
The keyboard is backlit with red LED lights and features various synced effects and patterns to make things visually interesting.
- Durable steel frame
- Reliable CHERRY MX mechanical key switches
- Highly portable
- Red LED backlight
- compact 87 keys keyboard
- Features multiple brightness and LED modes
- Light in weight
- Isn’t bulky
- Comes with a detachable Micro-USB cable which makes it portable
- N-key rollover
- 100% anti-ghosting
- The keys are relatively hard to press
3. Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
If you’re looking for a keyboard that registers key presses at the speed of light, the Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition is just the right choice for you. The keyboard features the latest technology which ensures you get nothing but the best.
The matte keyboard is built to last a long time and perform. It features colorful patterns and high-intensity lighting making it extremely customizable and user-friendly.
The LED brightness on the keyboard comes with five levels to suit your needs.
The 87-key portable keyboard is connected to your computer using a USB Type-C cable.
- Razer linear optical switch technology
- Razer chroma for personalization & gaming immersion
- Tournament-ready design
- Fully programmable macros
- Oil-resistant double shot PBT keycaps
- Can take up to 100 million keystrokes
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- The lightning-fast optical technology ensures fast keystroke responses
- High-quality aluminum construction
- Oil-resistant double shot PBT keycaps
- Allows personalization
- Issues with the light bar looking warped
- USB Type-C port is fairly uncommon
4. AUKEY Mechanical Keyboard
With anti-ghosting technology, n-key rollover and excellent response time, the Aukey Mechanical keyboard is one of the best portable mechanical keyboards you can buy.
The keyboard is not only value for money but is also capable of withstanding 50 million key presses which is impressive. This keyboard features Outemoblue illuminated keys which make things look cool when playing in the dark.
If you’re someone who likes audible feedback, the keyboard provides crisp tactile feedback for better typing.
The key caps featured on this keyboard are made of solid ABS plastic, which is excellent.
- Outemu Blue switches
- 50-million-keystroke lifespan
- Durable & water-resistant
- Full n-key rollover
- Easy media controls
- Easy on the pocket
- Features solid ABS plastic
- Full n-key rollover
- Resistant to water and dust
- Clean matte black finish
- No backlighting
5. SteelSeries Apex M750
If you’re looking to buy a keyboard that features a high-grade aluminum alloy frame, the SteelSeries Apex M750 is the right choice. The keyboard features rugged keys and an ergonomic design to ensure you get the best performance out of it.
In addition to that, its customizable 16M lights make things interesting at nighttime.
This keyboard features an unlimited keystroke capability which ensures longevity and durability. Of course, it also comes with anti-ghosting and N-key rollover.
- Discord chat integration
- In-game notifications
- Qx2 mechanical switches
- Prismsync lighting
- Durable aerospace aluminum frame
- Customizable lighting patterns
- Supports Windows as well as Mac OS X
- Features sturdy, 500 series aluminum frame
- Can withstand extreme gaming conditions
- Heavier than most
6. Corsair Gaming K65
This TKL mechanical keyboard comes with a detachable wrist rest for comfort during long hours of gameplay. The keyboard features top-notch build quality which includes a metal frame for rigidity and ABS plastic keys.
This keyboard is easy to use. It comes with dedicated media control buttons, an RGB lighting effect, and 100% anti-ghosting.
The advanced lighting control featured on this keyboard allows you to customize it according to what suits your needs the best.
- Detachable soft-touch wrist rest
- CUE software support
- Dedicated multimedia controls
- Braided USB cable
- 16.8 million colors RGB lighting
- Solid build
- RGB LED backlighting
- Long lifespan
- Fast and precise key presses
- The comfort of a full-size keyboard
- Takes a lot of space
7. Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro
If you’re looking for a TKL keyboard with an on-the-fly system, the Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro is one of the best contenders. The keyboard comes with anti-ghosting technology which is excellent for gaming and comes with profiles for customization.
The TKL mechanical keyboard comes with multimedia controls on the FN keys which can be used to control MACROS, effects and brightness, lighting, etc.
- On the fly settings adjustment
- Cooler Master RGB software support
- Braided detachable USB cable
- N-key rollover & 6-key rollover
- Anti-ghosting technology
- Heavy and sturdy construction
- The endless customization of RGB lighting
- Detachable micro-USB port for increased portability
- High-quality construction
- Flimsy keycaps
8. Razer BlackWidow X Tournament Edition
Razer is one of the best TKL keyboard brands on the market and is known to create high-performance gaming keyboards. The BlackWidow X Tournament keyboard is made for superior speed and performance.
The keyboard is constructed from military-grade metal to ensure longevity and durability while individually programmable backlit keys offer 16.8 million color options.
- 16.8 million RGB color customization
- NKRO with Anti-ghosting
- Razer Chroma customizable backlighting
- Razer Mechanical switches
- Inter-device color synchronization
- Compatible with Mac and Windows
- Made to be durable
- Compact gaming setup
- Aesthetic font keycaps
- Elevated switches
- Easy to clean
- Can get loud at times
9. Logitech G Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Logitech is one of the most reputable computer peripheral brands on the market. The G Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is one of the best available to choose from on the market, designed for pro gamers.
The keyboard meets the specifications of ESports athletes to ensure that it provides the precision, speed, and performance required in competitions.
The Durable Romer G switches featured on this keyboard deliver 25% quicker actuation and the keys can take up to 70 million key presses which is more than excellent.
- Meets eSports athlete standards
- Romer-G mechanical key switches are 25%* faster than standard mechanical switches
- G Lightsync Technology with customizable colors and effects
- Optimized keystroke signal processing for faster responses
- Professional-looking and aesthetic
- No bleed-through
- Built to last
- Comes with media keys
- Keys have a tendency of getting stuck
10. Razer BlackWidow TE Chroma v2
As you may already know, Razer is one of the best TKL mechanical keyboard brands out there. We’ve included a lot of their products on their list, and for good reasons.
The BlackWidow TE Chroma v2 is an excellent choice if you spend long hours on the computer as it comes with a detachable soft wrist rest for support. The Instant Trigger Technology (ITT) cancels debounce delays which is excellent.
The keyboard also comes with the company’s signature mechanical switch for gaming that provides 50 G of actuation force and a satisfying clicky sound.
- Magnetic wrist rest
- Long-lasting and durable construction
- NKRO with Anti-ghosting
- Instant Trigger Technology (ITT)
- Detachable USB cable
- Fully programmable keys with macro recording
- Razer Chroma RGB lighting support
- FN key Media controls
- Satisfying clicking sounds
- Excellent software
- Wrist support and comfort
- Excellent and long-lasting material
- LED lights may start to flicker after use
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section of the blog post, we will go through some of the frequently asked questions about tenkeyless mechanical keyboards.
Are Tenkeyless keyboards good?
Yes, tenkeyless keyboards are actually awesome.
First of all, they save you a lot of space on the desk and are quite ergomatic by removing the part of the keyboard that most people don’t use–the numeric keypad.
Mechanical keyboards are better for typing and playing games and provide superior performance.
Is a compact keyboard better for gaming?
Yes, a compact keyboard is a better choice for gamers as it provides you with more desk real-estate. If you’re right-handed like most people are, a compact keyboard makes the mouse even more accessible to you.
These keyboards are crammed with so many features that make them an ideal pick for gamers. Some offer high keystrokes, tactical feedback, RGB backlighting, etc. to help enhance your overall gaming experience.
How many keys are there in a Tkl keyboard?
The exact number of keys varies from one keyboard to another. However, experts agree that a standard tenkeyless keyboard comes with 88 keys on average.
Of course, this also depends on the layout of the keyboard. The Redragon K552, for example, comes with 87 keys.
4. Why do gamers prefer mechanical keyboards?
There are three main reasons why gamers prefer buying mechanical keyboards:
- They are tactile
Of course, there are some additional reasons like the fact that they are portable, have a smaller footprint. Some people feel that these keyboards help enhance their gaming experience.
You can find hundreds of TKL mechanical keyboards on the market, but not all of them will be of high quality. In fact, some of them may even prove to be problematic in the longer run.
Our team of experts analyzed the best-selling tenkeyless keyboards and curated this list just for you. We feel that the Redragon K552 is the best tenkeyless mechanical keyboard available on the market.
When it comes to features, we feel that the Corsair Gaming K65 is also a great pick.
Did we help you choose the best mechanical keyboard for yourself? Let us know in the comments…